Sunday, July 28, 2013

Quick DSLR Tips

I have owned my DSLR camera for 3 years now and it’s fast became the most popular photography method yet.  I have always been a fan of taking pictures and have really enjoyed owning a DSLR.  I have come up with a bunch of DSLR Photography Tips that I have learned over the years.
I always make sure that my battery is fully charged when I go out to take photos.  I also make sure to bring an extra memory card.  Most likely I won’t use up a whole card but it is nice to be prepared.
I like to put my camera in manual mode.  This does not mean manual focus.  I always keep that in Auto mode as a lot of photographers do. With manual mode I am able to change the ISO, shutter speed and aperture to what I need for my photo.

My Digital Photography Tips

When I am shooting outside I like to keep my ISO at about 100-300.  It depends on how overcast it is.  I like to play around with it to find the right number to use.
When I am taking photos of small children, I like to have my aperture set to the lowest number possible.  Children move fast and need a fast setting on the camera in order to capture them.  I have found that if I use a fast setting I can get a better picture.
After I have figured out the ISO and the aperture, I am able to figure out the shutter speed.  I usually do things this way unless I am trying to capture a sporting event or taking photos from a moving car.  When I am doing that I make sure my shutter speed is really high and adjust the aperture from there.
I learned how to be a better photographer by practicing.  I take my camera out every day.  Sometimes I take photos of my own kids, other days I go on a nature walk.  It just depends on the day.  Any chance I have to take some pictures, I do it.
I have learned what I need to do for each setting.  I have learned about light and what it means when there is a lot of it and when there is not very much of it.  I have learned how to create the look that I want.
I can offer DSLR Photography Tips because I have taken the time to learn about my camera and how to take photos.  DSLR stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex.  In the past I had an SLR camera.  This is a film camera and where I learned about settings.
A DSLR is a little different from an SLR.  I have learned that it is easier to use a DSLR.  Film is great to work with but digital is a lot easier to use these days.  Digital is also good for when you are practicing.
I usually take at least 100 pictures a day.  If I was using film, it would cost me a lot of money.  With a DSLR I can just delete a bad photo.  With an SLR, every photo costs money, even if I don’t want to use it for anything.
I use three lenses with my DSLR.  I have a zoom lens and two primes.  I like my zoom when I go out and I am not sure where I will be taking pictures.  A day trip is a perfect example of that.  The zoom gives me flexibility that I can’t get with a prime lens.
I am more likely to grab one of my prime lenses if I know I will be outside.  I have an 85mm and a 50mm.  If I know I will not be in a small room to take photos, I would prefer using one of those lenses.  These two lenses won’t work as well in a small space.
Ideally I would like to have a 35mm for smaller spaces.  That way I would be able to use a prime in a situation where I would otherwise not be able to.  The prime lenses can be a bit sharper which is what I like about them.
I love that I only need one DSLR body and can use a lot of different lenses on it.  Lenses are cheaper than cameras and it is nice to change them out based on my needs.  I can take a lot of different photos based on the type of lens that I use.


I am so glad that I am able to offer DSLR Photography Tips.  I think a DSLR is a great item to have.  I love hearing when others want to learn about how to use one.  I don’t like to hear when people buy one and never learn what it does.  I think it is worth everyone’s time to learn the right way to use one.
Get out and start capturing the moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment